Tuesday, February 24, 2009

10 songs (to cover your ears to)

My musical taste was once described by my documentary professor as "whomping", and I had no reason to dispute her comment, as I'd just finished screening a black+white 16mm short piece about my closet set to Adam Ant's "Prince Charming" that could only be described as "whomping". I admit: I like some pretty obnoxious stuff sometimes, and I really like trying to convince people it's worth listening to. I also like music that sounds like music. This is not that, however. Call it avant-garde, industrial, experimental-- this is my favorite noise chosen from my iTunes, arbitrarily numbered (although no. 10 is my favorite of the bunch). Click the song titles to download the files. I know the mediafire site looks sketchy but don't be a pussy.

10 songs to cover your ears to:

1. "SmokeScreen" by Shocking Pinks (Shocking Pinks)
2. "Good Deeds" by ADULT. (ADULT. Why Bother?)
3. "Dali's Car" by Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band (Trout Mask Replica)
4. "2 1/2 FT. Soul" by Doo Rag (Barber Shop Cassette)
5. "Pas a pas step until" by Fly Pan Am (N'ecoutez pas)
6. "Benjamin" by Burning Star Core (The Very Heart of the World)
7. "Weeping" by Throbbing Gristle (D.O.A: The Third and Final Report)
8. "Sex Bomb" by Flipper (Album)
9. "Indestructible Life" by Old Time Relijun (Catharsis in Crisis)
10. "jokers on a waltz" by Sun City Girls (Sun City Girls)

Honorable mentions: Brainiac, Duchess Says, Pere Ubu.

* This post made possible by Shelly & Nathan for putting this shit on my computer inspiring this post, and is in tribute to Lester Bangs's article on Metal Machine Music - an album which he called "the greatest album ever made" when other people called it "anti-emotional" and "anti-human".

No comments:

Post a Comment