Sunday, April 12, 2009

insane clown posse (art must be beautiful)

I recently read an article on how to be a great conversationalist. It advised against bringing up certain topics that could potentially offend, including politics, religion, unpleasant smells, and "dark topics such as serial killers and stalkers." If I can't bring up serial killers, then WHAT am I supposed to talk about? The weather?

Along that line of thinking, I give you a few snapshots from MARRIED GIRL, a film by Alex Lopez, aka A. Lo, i.e. my classmate (shown above). She needed extras dressed as clowns emerging from a giant vagina, for a shroom hallucination sequence. Try to note the smiley face balloon which aptly represents the clitoris. The dress I wore is vintage mod gear from the 60s that I inherited. I did my own make-up; going for the "dead clown" look, I was often mistaken for a member of Kiss. I'D REALLY LIKE TO KNOW WHICH ONE.



The answer is Ace Frehley.

This week I was also subject to Marina Abramović's ART MUST BE BEAUTIFUL. It comments on society's obsession with beauty and the pain it inflicts on women (in this case, translated literally) who are expected to carry the burden. It also goes on for much longer than that and we had to watch most of it. "Wow! Gross! Deep." Personally I think the 30-second clip suffices.

I guess that makes it a feminist friday??

No comments:

Post a Comment