Wednesday, March 3, 2010

EPIC BEARD MAN

Probably old news by now? But boy do I love this shit so into the blog it goes.


The fight, caught on tape


Follow-up interview with EBM (Epic Beard Man)


Mortal Kombat style


There are countless responses to this, from animated re-enactments to Hitler and Nintendo parodies. What I find especially fascinating, beyond the delusions of both involved parties, is the decidedly positive reaction people have had to the EBM for "not taking shit from angry youths" and standing up for himself. Some have actually used the word "hero" (although once the interview came out, the reactions cooled down to "He's sick and I feel sorry for him... but he's still a badass"). There are further criticisms against the victim because his friends who videotaped it stole the EBM's stuff when it was over, and people generally accuse him of "starting it" by, I don't know, getting riled up over what sounds an awful lot like a racist remark.

I mean, I pretty much feel that the two got what they deserved, but it's strange to see ignorance and public assault being hailed on Youtube. Although according to my boyfriend, people in Turkey have street fights all the time without police intervention, so maybe I'm just old-fashioned.

2 comments: